EISCAT 3D support
NeIC EISCAT_3D Support (E3DS) Public Page
EISCAT_3D is an environmental research infrastructure on the European ESFRI roadmap. It is proposed as an international research infrastructure using the incoherent scatter technique to study the upper atmosphere above the Arctic in order to investigate how the Earth's atmosphere is coupled to space. EISCAT_3D is a multi-static phased array radar system that will be installed at remote locations in the most Northern parts of the Scandinavian peninsula. The system will be operated by and be an integral part of the EISCAT Scientific Association.
The e-infrastructure challenges for EISCAT_3D include finding cost-efficient state of the art solutions for on-site computing and establishing network connections between the different sites and with the data archive. The goal of the NeIC "Supporting EISCAT_3D" (E3DS) project is to support the preparation of the implementation of EISCAT_3D for those aspects concerning e-infrastructure. Particular goals also include to develop solutions for locating the data archive within existing national e-infrastructures and to support EISCAT in planning the recruitment of e-science experts.
- Craig Heinselman (EISCAT)
- Yasunobu Ogawa (EISCAT)
- Gudmund Høst (NeIC)
- John White (NeIC)
- John White (NeIC)
- Carl-Fredrik Enell (EISCAT)
- Ingemar Häggström (EISCAT)
- Anders Tjulin (EISCAT)
- Assar Westman (EISCAT)
- Sathyaveer Prasad (EISCAT)
- Tor Johansen (University of Tromso)
- Harri Hellgren (EISCAT)
- Ari Lukkarinen (CSC)
- Sari Lasanen (University of Oulu)
- Mattias Wadenstein (HPC2N)
- Juha Vierinen (University of Tromso)
- Ilkka Virtanen (University of Oulu)
Meetings with external projects
- EISCAT_3D EUDAT pilot meeting, Stockholm Arlanda 18/08/2015.
- EISCAT_3D stakeholders meeting, Arlanda SkyCity Conference centre, 05/11/2015.
- EISCAT_3D stakeholders meeting May 2016, Arlanda SkyCity Conference centre, May 2016.
- Visit to CSC Kajaani, Kajaani, Aug 2016.
- Visit to University of Tromso, Tromsø, Nov 7th 2016.
- Visit to Umea University, Umeå, Nov 29th 2016.
- EISCAT_3D stakeholders meeting December 2016, Arlanda SkyCity Conference centre, December 15th 2016.
- Project Plan
- MA-1: Requirements and their implications for EISCAT_3D data handling and processing at the operations centre
- MA-2: Requirements and their implications for EISCAT_3D data handling and processing at the data centre
- MA-3: EISCAT_3D Wide-Area Network Plan
- MB-1: On-site computing requirements for EISCAT_3D test sub-array
- MB-2: Consultation on selecting architecture/technology for the on-site computing related to a test-subarray
- MC-1: Test sub-array sub-systems and interfaces