NeIC is generally happy to fund Nordic meetings and workshops for competence sharing and strengthening collaborations. This page describes what type of workshops NeIC likes to organize and fund, and what NeIC can do for you to help ensure your workshop will be successful.
If you are looking to arrange a workshop in collaboration with NeIC, you are welcome to contact the director or any of the area coordinators, who will be happy to help you either directly themselves, or by putting you in contact with someone who is in good position to take your ideas forward.
Please Contact NeIC if you have an idea for a workshop that you believe that NeIC could help contribute to.
Why a workshop?
Workshops are comparatively easy and cheap to arrange, and it is generally unproblematic for employing institutions to send relevant staff.
From NeIC's point of view return of investment is guaranteed, at a very least in the form of strengthened connections between related activities in the Nordics, and an increased awareness of how similar challenges are approached in other organizations. This of course helps build trust and makes it easier to identify areas of common interest, and it makes it easier to take stock of needs and available resources. All of this greatly facilitates the formal process from idea to results-producing project work, if and when the partners want to take their collaborations to the next level. At the same time, a good workshop should also aim to produce results that are directly useful in the short term, for example in the form of concrete e-infrastructure improvements that directly serve and strengthen Nordic research.
What is a workshop?
Ideally, a good workshop should:
- have a concrete goal and agenda.
- focus on producing concrete results for an activity that is planned or already ongoing in parallel in the Nordic countries.
- allocate a lot of time to hands-on work or focused discussions.
- include opportunities for informal face-to-face discussions, as these are often essential for people to get to know each other, and build the trust that is the foundation for successful distributed teamwork.
- have a Nordic dimension, as outlined on the activity initiation page.
- produce a report on attendance and results from the workshop.
NeIC workshops should not concern:
- applications for funding, for example from the Nordic research funding bodies. NeIC funds come from these organizations and should not be spent on funding applications to these same organizations.
Examples of formats:
- classic meeting with presentations, discussions and dinner.
- school for experts, combining presentations and hands-on work
- working on specific challenges, or a competition
- plugfest putting together services and components
How can NeIC help you?
The workshop support NeIC aims to provide within Nordic e-infrastructure training is compliant to Open Science, a complete description is to be found here 
NeIC can put you in contact with key people in other organizations who can contribute to your workshop.
NeIC can help you plan and organize your workshop, so that it will have a high chance of being a success.
- Tools like Indico is useful when arranging a workshop.
- You can create an account on https://indico.neic.no/, once you have done that you can ask for administrative account from Anne-Marie Bach
- Add a link to the training material in the invite. Online training combined with physical workshops being webinars, streaming, podcast/screencast and eLearning modules, can create awareness and interest to collect materials.
- Use a platform (open source) to collect the training materials which can be shared and reused, e.g. GitHub, and for videos it can be placed on youtube or similar. International availability and access to training materials in relevant platforms is compliant to the European Open Science Cloud.
- Tips for setting up a YouTube account
- Tips for the slides to be used in your workshop
NeIC can help disseminate information about your workshop, so that interested parties will know to register.
- NeIC uses a shared calendar to collect and disseminate information on upcoming training events that are either arranged by NeIC or partners, or are of interest to NeIC and its stakeholders.
- You are welcome to add a training event, being NeIC partners, stakeholders or affiliated. The information on your event is maintained in the public neic-training
- Kindly note the google Calendar ID and find tips here for how to add an event in the Google Calendar.
- NeIC can help you set up a survey.
- Tools like Indico is useful for setting up a survey including a pre-survey.
- Survey results can be shared as a website view with charts and graphs of aggregate data.
- Feedback strengthens teaching and learning, ultimately improving the training offered. NeIC highly encourages such feedback loops. NeIC aims to improve and boost the eScience training throughout the Nordics, a.o.learning from workshop surveys and sharing survey results.