- 1 Glenna steering group meeting
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Minutes
- 3.1 Glenna SG 16-29. Welcome and Presence
- 3.2 Glenna SG 16-30. Approval of agenda and minutes from last meeting
- 3.3 Glenna SG 16-31. NeIC Announcements
- 3.4 Glenna SG 16-32. Updated final report and deliverables
- 3.5 Glenna SG 16-33. Status prolongation
- 3.6 Glenna SG 16-34. Hiring and project plan opportunities for Glenna2
- 3.7 Glenna SG 16-35. New collaboration agreement
- 3.8 Glenna SG 16-36. Supporting use cases who come with their own funding
- 3.9 Glenna SG 16-37. AOB
- 3.10 Glenna SG 16-38. Next meeting
- 3.11 Attachments
- 3.12 Attachments
Glenna steering group meeting
Time: Tuesday 2016-11-22 at 09:30-15:00 CET
Place: Radisson Blu Airport Hotel, Oslo Gardemoen
- Meeting Video Link: https://connect.sunet.se/glenna/?launcher=false
- Alternative in case of problems: Google Hangouts https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g4g5nyl5glc66wqgbqk4yjvb4ua
- Martin Bech, representing DeIC, DK
- Andreas Hellander, representing SNIC, SE
- Hans A. Eide, representing UNINETT Sigma, NO
- Olav Kvittem, representing UNINETT Sigma, NO
- Magnus Gislason representing CSUI, IS
- Vera Hansper, representing CSC, FI (from 16-26, Glenna-II)
- Dan Still Project Manager representing NeIC
- Michaela Barth, NeIC Generic Area Coordinator, representing NeIC, Chair
- Project internal wiki: https://wiki.neic.no/int/Nordic_Cloud
- Project public homepage: https://wiki.neic.no/wiki/Glenna
- Glenna SG 16-29. Welcome and Presence.
- Glenna SG 16-30. Approval of agenda and minutes from last meeting
- Glenna SG 16-31. NeIC announcements (Michaela)
- Glenna SG 16-32. Updated final report and deliverables
- Glenna SG 16-33. Status prolongation
- Glenna SG 16-34. Hiring and project plan opportunities for Glenna2
- Glenna SG 16-35. New collaboration agreement
- Glenna SG 16-36. Supporting use cases who come with their own funding
- Glenna SG 16-37. AOB
- Glenna SG 16-38. Next meeting
Glenna SG 16-29. Welcome and Presence
Everyone invited present, Michaela and Andreas over video. Additionally Pål Pettersen (NeIC Administration).
Decision: Pål and Dan will take over the chairing in case of technical problems or other emergencies.
Glenna SG 16-30. Approval of agenda and minutes from last meeting
Decision: Request from UNINETT to also include an item on "future connections to European projects". Approved.
Glenna SG 16-31. NeIC Announcements
(20 min) Michaela
Summary: Future NeIC internal staff changes not effecting Glenna or Glenna II. Dan will continue as Project Manager, Michaela will continue as Project Owner representative with a new title (Executive Manager). Pål leaving in April, but new administrative personal (Kine Nordstokkå) already starting on December 1st.
Glenna SG 16-32. Updated final report and deliverables
(20 min) Final Report Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zXqkCARVc73NXpCoEEopofasvqh46CFaDWPyU4l91ag/edit#
Discussion: Iceland missing from the budget. IS representative will remind management to bill NeIC. Total salary budget is approx six Mio. NOK. Vera volunteered to do an extra language check. Info about currency was added and document locations should still be added to the final report.
Decision: Final report approved (pending final language check) and ready to send to the Board.
Glenna SG 16-33. Status prolongation
(30 mins) Dan
Dan presented the marketing efforts and progress on federated IaaS. Federated identiy will evolve, but we will not be spending too much time or enegery at that for Glenna II
SNIC: Blueprints used by SciLifeLab: this could be a Glenna Success Story for scientific community impact
Glenna SG 16-34. Hiring and project plan opportunities for Glenna2
Bring in concrete use cases!
SciLifeLab (Ola Spjuth) potential opportunity. Meteo use case participants interested in continuing. Norstore plan to use a Kubernetes platform and likely NextCloud for research data repository. CSC will also move to OwnCloud. Preservation of long term data not even in the scope of SNIC.
Lessons learned from Glenna-I is to not necessarily divide PM's equally; it is more important to match competencies so try to make a plan for the next year: an inventory of potential staff.
We could do a common job announcement for unmatched effort. Uninett: WLCG moving larger part of work into the Cloud. NT1 resources up for renewal could be made cloud-based. Opportunity for a Glenna use case? SNIC: not wanting to turn our cloud into a Grid.
Suggestion: Have a workshop Kubernetes cluster in the OpenStack cloud.
Policy could be user and location mapping or data and data location access to all the cloud services and active support how to use them
SNIC: appoint team leaders for aim2 and aim3 and these will be the focus areas.
The team leaders and Dan make the specific plans. Three months planning horizon.
Uninett: The aims should be focused into concrete targets.
The project plan will be a living document.
Glenna-II should have its own web page.
Glenna SG 16-35. New collaboration agreement
Discussion: NeIC: Collaboration Agreement will be similar to the document signed in Glenna-I.
Voting: Full quorum is needed right now, instead could be 3/4.
Partners could take over FTE:s if there is a resource shortage in one country.
UNINETT: When there are DP:s in the agreement they should be on the agenda for the corresponding SG meetings.
Signatures for the agreement will be collected individually.
Michaela will circulate the CA draft to the SG members.
Glenna-II will be the official project name.
Glenna SG 16-36. Supporting use cases who come with their own funding
CSC: Suggestion: Geologoical societies as use case.
SNIC: SciLifeLab (Ola Spjuth) potential opportunity.
PM: Meteo use case participants interested in continuing.
SNIC: The project should actively support use cases for AIM4, i.e. workshops etc.
NeIC: No additonla funding will be available for external use cases.
Since there is no funding the project needs to be active in marketing the benefits to the use case owners. Free access to experts can bee seen as funding.
Glenna SG 16-37. AOB
Item: Future connections to European projects
NeIC board will discuss European initiatives. Since the partners participate in different areas, NeIC could take a coordinating role.
Glenna SG 16-38. Next meeting
15th of February 2017 Nordunet Offices Copenhagen Denmark