EGI Nordic coordination meeting 140226
Time: 2014-02-26 09:00-16:00
Location: Radison Blu SkyCity, Arlanda (Stockholm Airport), Sweden
Registration deadline: 2014-02-20
- 1 Background
- 2 Discussion Material and Links
- 3 Suggested Agenda
- 4 Registration and Participants
- 5 Attachments
At the bi-annual NeIC meeting with national e-infrastructure directors on the 13/12/11 at Gardermoen the opportunity of a joint Nordic participation in EGI was discussed.
The current idea is to organise the coordinated engagement as a NeIC project within the Generic Area, with the aim of providing a single-point-of-contact for the Nordics to egi.eu governance and to coordinate Nordic participation in EGI-related projects (and work packages).
From the Minutes of the Meeting at Gardermoen:
13-3. EGI – Nordic coordination
The future engagement of the Nordic countries in EGI is unclear. A coordinated Nordic engagement would likely give increased efficiency but could also have other interesting possibilities. For example, the Nordics could potentially take collective responsibility of one or more work packages of strategic importance, or at least decide collectively what work packages to engage in.
NeIC can co-finance the proposal writing process, as a project initiated top-down by the national e-infrastructures, and co-financed by the national e-infrastructures. This project idea is now being iterated among co-funding partners, to develop into a mature proposal that can be launched as a project.
The national e-infrastructure providers will now investigate:
- What work packages to engage in.
- Whether it is useful to have NeIC as a single point of contact toward
- What the deadlines are.
- It was agreed that NeIC will call for a common meeting between the
Nordic EGI partners to bring the process forward.*
Discussion Material and Links
- Draft slides of Per Öster's presentation: H2020, EGI and the Nordics
- NeIC presentation DRAFT slides:  (also attached to this page)
- EGI Strategy document from September 2013: 
- H2020 overview:
- Interesting H2020 workplan chapters:
- List of ALL H2020 calls :
Intended timeframe: starting at 9:00, closing at 16:00.
Please feel free to add suggestions for the agenda below:
Breakfast and Coffee
served from 8:00
- 09:00 Welcome (Michaela Barth)
- 09:05 - 09:30 H2020, EGI and the Nordics (Per Öster, H2020, EGI and the Nordics slides sent out in advance)
- 09:30 - 10:00 NeIC: status and opportunities (Gudmund Høst, DRAFT slides sent out in advance)
- 10:00 - 11:30 Statement of interest from the partners, should include:
- Statements on good and feasible collaboration projects where your partner country could be interested to contribute
- Statements on collaboration projects where you see your country in the leading position of a future workpackage.
- Any other considerations of relevance
- For DK: Rene Belsø
- For IS: Ebba Þóra Hvannberg Slides as presented
- For SE: Jacko Koster
- For FI: Per Öster
- For NO: Arild Halsetrønning
- 11:30 - 12:30 EGI views on H2020 (Tiziana Ferrari)
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
Workshop Discussion: Developing a Common View
- Is there a sufficient large overlap of what we in the Nordics want to do?
- Can we e.g. support EGI's grand vision to build a pan-European infrastructure for data analysis? Can we make use of it and integrate it in our National research infrastructures?
Workshop Discussion: Practical Realization
- Willingness to do this under NeIC umbrella
- Not adding an additional layer, but simplifying processes and procedures with low overhead
- Technical considerations
- Planning actual proposal writing
14:30 - 15:00 Coffee break
- Preparations for the next Day's EGI Council meeting, White Paper on Nordic HPC collaboration, etc.
- Summary and Closing (Michaela Barth) : Slides(corrected)
Registration and Participants
Please register by email to the NeIC Generic Area Coordinator Michaela Barth or add yourself to the list below.
Registration ends on 2013-02-20.
The workshop includes lunch and coffee, so please state any special dietary requirements.
|Arild Halsetrønning||UNINETT Sigma||Norway||-|
|Ebba Þóra Hvannberg||RHNet||Iceland||-|