- 1 Steering group meeting
- 1.1 Time
- 1.2 Location
- 1.3 Participants
- 1.4 Agenda
- 1.5 Meeting minutes
- 1.5.1 NeIC updates
- 1.5.2 Project status
- 1.5.3 Should CodeRefinery participate in INFRAIA-02-2020 call: proposal for EuSSI (european software sustainability institute)
- 1.5.4 How to make CodeRefinery sustainable beyond the end of current project
- 1.5.5 Future of the GitLab service: financing and support structure
- 1.5.6 Nordic research software engineer conference
- 1.5.7 Onboarding new team members from ETAIS: what commitments can we expect for 2020?
- 1.5.8 How to get better integration with DeiC and the DK research community
- 1.5.9 Meeting retrospective and next meeting
Steering group meeting
- 2019-03-04 09:00 - 15:30 CET. Meeting starts with a breakfast buffet.
- Radisson Blu SkyCity Airport Conference Arlanda Sweden (Skycity is between Terminal 4 and Terminal 5)
- Located at Skycity, between Terminal 4 and Terminal 5
- We have a conference room booked and lunch and coffee will be served.
- Kristoffer Laigaard Nielbo
- Michaela Barth
- Pauliina Somerkoski
- Radovan Bast
- Rossen Apostolov
- Thor Wikfeldt
- Jon Kerr Nilsen
- Terje Vellemaa
- If you arrive before 9:00: Breakfast buffet
- Session 1: 9:00 - 10:20
- NeIC updates (information, Michaela, 10 minutes)
- Project status (information, Radovan, 20 minutes)
- Should CodeRefinery participate in INFRAIA-02-2020 call: proposal for EuSSI (european software sustainability institute; information and discussion, Radovan, 20 minutes)
- Break: 10:20 - 10:30
- Session 2: 10:30 - 11:30
- How to make CodeRefinery sustainable beyond the end of current project (discussion)
- Cost model
- Should we trademark the name? If yes, who is "we"?
- Workshops outside Nordics
- Workshops "outside academia" (Akvaplan, SINTEF)
- How to make CodeRefinery sustainable beyond the end of current project (discussion)
- Lunch: 11:30 - 12:15
- Session 3: 12:15 - 13:10
- Future of the GitLab service: financing and support structure (discussion)
- Nordic research software engineer conference (information and discussion)
- Break: 13:10 - 13:20
- Session 4: 13:20 - 14:30
- Onboarding new team members from ETAIS: what commitments can we expect for 2020? (discussion)
- How to get better integration with DeiC and the DK research community: our workshop announcements do not seem to reach the relevant audience (discussion)
- Break: 14:30 - 14:50
- Session 5: 14:50 - 15:30
- Meeting retrospective and next meeting (discussion)
Approved by the meeting participants 2020-02-12.
CodeRefinery RG meeting two days ago: News item on Carpentries membership offerings in planning.
17 events in total delivered in 2019. 9 of them were 3-day workshops: https://coderefinery.org/workshops/
In planning: Instructor training and workshop at TU Delft in April, probably another instructor training in Autumn in Stockholm or Helsinki.
Training hubs are emerging, offering workshops in regular intervals: Trondheim, Stockholm, Oslo, Aalto. Last workshop at Aalto University had 3 volunteer instructors. Upcoming Uppsala workshop will have 3 volunteer instructors.
Open House events: team is available on video online. In the beginning just the team, hope for community growth. Advertisement is done via Twitter.
Lessons learned from first instructor training in Stockholm: no certification yet, this is needed but also tricky. Something similar to The Carpentries might be needed. Expected focus was on how to teach the lesson not so much lesson development. Not in competition with The Carpentries: half day was explaining The Carpentries style.
In 2019 only one event in Denmark.
One event means typically 3 people for one week. Lesson development is typically happening right before workshops but we try to also reserve days where we focus on material development.
Decision: Future events should be strategic to engage and recruit new and local instructors.
Should CodeRefinery participate in INFRAIA-02-2020 call: proposal for EuSSI (european software sustainability institute)
Deadline: March 17.
- eScience center in Netherlands (Carlos, coordinator)
- INRIA, the institute behind Software Heritage https://www.softwareheritage.org/
More information about the call: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunitie proposals/topic-details/infraia-02-2020
3 years, no co-funding necessary. We expect 1-2 FTE share for CodeRefinery-type efforts.
The team could participate in these two work packages:
- WP6 Community engagement and education and training
- WP7 European-wide consulting service and help-desk
Who is the official partner? Still NordForsk?
Before committing to lead WP6, carefully consider how the entire project is structured, not only the work package. To make sure we are not fighting for resources with other WP leads, if resources are overlapping and fragmented.
Feedback to others: looks like too many work packages.
Summary: The steering group supports the application. There are two options for participation, 1) via NordForsk or 2) directly via participating institutions (e.g. KTH and UiT) depending on practical concerns.
- AP Radovan: draft WP6 and WP7, motivate why NordForsk should engage and document what the expected effort would be. Also send old proposal and evaluation to Michaela.
- AP Michaela: ask whether NordForsk would be interested to act as beneficiary.
How to make CodeRefinery sustainable beyond the end of current project
A new Carpentry?
We have discussed whether creating a new "Carpentry" under the Carpentries would be an option for sustainability. But who would drive this new Carpentry? If we manage to become a “Carpentry” how do The Carpentries support or ensure sustainability? What do you put in? What do you get out of it? In terms of finding people who would be involved in the future, it might be easier if this was a Carpentry.
Radovan will follow-up and ask Naoe to find out how a new Carpentry could be formed, what would be needed from us.
Decision: cost model for workshops is complicated (legally and financially) and paid workshops are out of scope for now.
Estimate for needed coordination effort is 0.5-1 FTE on-top of Hubs in-kind contributions. The estimate is made based on the current operations.
Dependency on Hubs: realistic and minimum ambition level. No reporting or contracts.
Conclusion: Until a clear funding scheme is identified (e.g. long-term commitment by NeIC providers, universities etc.), the core activities of CR can be carried on by members of the 4 hubs. We hope that the host institutions of the hubs can commit to organize one event per year, i.e. a total of 4 events.
Future of the GitLab service: financing and support structure
Operating since 2017 currently at DeiC, initially at CSC.
User support is mostly about account permissions and is handled through CodeRefinery. Better integration with AAI would minimize the support requests.
703 projects from 539 users (around 500 active) in 75 groups (NT1, ARC).
Financing is secured until Oct. 2021.
Move it out from CodeRefinery project? Perfect service for EOSC-Nordic, could also be hosted within ETAIS. Alternative would be a long-term commitment from NeIC.
Universities often have their own GitLabs as silos.
Approaching university libraries is also a possibility.
Conclusions: Radovan to discuss with Francesca, Lene, Ilja.
Nordic research software engineer conference
We plan to run this annually or bi-annually. We will encourage satellite events. We are unsure whether we plan to publish proceedings.
We have started assembling a program committee and we have been approached by a potential sponsor.
Onboarding new team members from ETAIS: what commitments can we expect for 2020?
1 person already instructor. 1 with experience in workshop administration.
Project manager will follow up with the two contacts and keep ETAIS SG member in the conversation and start up the on-boarding.
How to get better integration with DeiC and the DK research community
Our workshop announcements do not seem to reach the relevant audience.
Planned workshop in Aarhus in November 2019 had to be cancelled due to low number of registrations (9). Past full workshops within DK were bound to respective research groups.
Coincidence with a parallel event.
DeiC's outreach does not seem to reach the relevant user groups.
It seems approaching specific groups is what worked well in the past.
New carpentry instructor trainers are good contact points.
The group of Kristoffer L. Nielbo offered to contribute 25 hours for coordination efforts but CodeRefinery has to decide how to use them (e.g., promotion of one workshop, compilation of a stakeholder list, etc.).
Meeting retrospective and next meeting
Next meetings (both video):
- 2020-06-11, 12:30 - 14:00 CET
- 2020-11-11, 11:00 - 12:30 CET