From neicext
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Steering group meeting 2018-05-02


  • 2018-05-02 09:00 - 12:00 CEST.


  • Video meeting over Zoom:

Connection Details

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:

Or iPhone one-tap :

  • Sweden: +46844682488,,152239500#

Or Telephone:

  • Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
    • Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488
    • Finland: +358 (0) 9 4245 1488
    • Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88
    • Norway: +47 2396 0588
  • Meeting ID: 152 239 500
  • International numbers available:

Or an H.323/SIP room system:

  • H.323:
  • Meeting ID: 152 239 500
  • SIP: 152239500@

Or Skype for Business (Lync):



  • Gerd Behrmann
  • Hans Eide
  • Lene Krøl Andersen
  • Martti Louhivuori
  • Michaela Barth
  • Pauliina Somerkoski
  • Radovan Bast
  • Rossen Apostolov
  • Thor Wikfeldt


  • Hans Eide
  • Michaela Barth
  • Pauliina Somerkoski
  • Radovan Bast
  • Rossen Apostolov
  • Thor Wikfeldt

Known absences

  • Lene Krøl Andersen

Goal of this meeting

Discuss the follow-up project directive which will be submitted to the NeIC board.


1. Brief status of the project (information).

To get everybody on the same page (10 min).

2. Project directive (discussion). (public can read and comment)

This is the core of the meeting where we discuss the follow-up based on a document draft from the project manager. This document will be the basis for decision by the NeIC board.

We will also discuss the Nordic open science cloud call into which CodeRefinery will be embedded.

3. Transferral (discussion).

Discuss what we do if the follow-up is not granted: hand-over of material and responsibilities.

4. Future of the GitLab service (discussion).

Currently 50k NOK/year, 103 users, 14 groups, 140 projects. We discuss continuation of this service.

5. NeIC announcements, open call (information).

Michaela informs us about the open call and strategy discussions.

Meeting minutes

The minutes have been approved by the meeting participants.

1. Brief status of the project.

2. Follow-up and project directive.

Document draft: (public can read and comment).

Provider forum meets May 24 and will comment on project directive. Document deadline a week in advance. Provider forum checks for inconsistencies or missing information to not lose time by NeIC board possibly postponing decisions.

Suggestions for changes in the document:

  • In project directive present two budget options: larger and smaller budget and highlight downsides. 0.5 FTE total is probably too small for lightweight version, rather present 1.0 FTE or same level as phase 1 as small budget alternative.
  • If countries think this project is important, they need to commit. Also look carefully at cost items and offload catering and room reservations.
  • Goal is sustainable continuation after phase 2.
  • Discuss cost sharing/saving options, f.ex. in-kind coordination option for workshops (e.g. through university libraries as potential contact points), in project directive.
  • Present another very ambitious alternative in PDI with larger budget and a lot more deliverables? Two workshops per country per semester, and 2 train-the-trainer workshops.
  • But emphasize that smaller project possible, then fewer workshops will be given and fewer train-the-trainer events.

More comments were added directly in the linked document.

3. Transferral of the lesson material.

  • All material is open source.
  • Intellectual property is with Sigma2, SNIC, CSC, DeiC, NeIC (represented by NordForsk).
  • Material can either be transferred to The Carpentries or to a national version of CodeRefinery.

4. Future of the GitLab service.

  • Current agreement goes until end of October 2018. 50 kNOK/year which includes maintenance and upgrades but no user-facing support.
  • Migration should be possible without problems and ideally users should not notice.
  • Currently no documentation in place supporting support personnel. Transferal of the service should include documentation on support actions.
  • User-facing support is estimated at 5% FTE.
  • In future service needs to come with support (e.g. support to users asking about status of a downtime). Service point could become of agreement.
  • In case CodeRefinery project is ended we should seek discussions with The Carpentries and with local universities to establish a financing solution.
  • TODO Radovan: prepare graphs of user adoption, active projects and usage patterns.
  • Await decision by NeIC board and then we still have 3 months to migrate and potentially wind down the service.

5. NeIC announcements, open call.

NeIC Open Call: all NeIC project steering groups are encouraged to respond to the "Request for Information» for the strategic plan to provide the NeIC Board with the best possible platform for developing the next generation NeIC strategy. Note the strict deadline May 15th.

  • A Survey with questions has been suggested as an alternative to the open call.
  • TODO Radovan: write down future needs in the field that should be covered by NeIC.

6. Next meetings.

  • TODO Radovan: send Doodle poll for video meeting after June 20 board meeting.
  • TODO Radovan: send Doodle poll for video meeting early September

7. Involving Estonia.

  • TODO Radovan: clean up project directive
  • TODO Radovan: share document with Estonian partners
  • TODO Radovan: schedule meeting with Estonian partners