Background for Meeting
Since its establishment as part of NordForsk in 2012, NeIC has developed from a shared Nordic distributed Tier-1 facility for Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG) to a broad platform for collaboration on e-infrastructure topics of common interest. We would like to invite you to a meeting with two main purposes:
- The European Commission is promoting a European Open Science Cloud (EOSC), an initiative to support and develop open science in Europe and beyond. We believe that there is a window of opportunity now for the Nordic countries to be early movers, and that we can both inspire and set direction for EOSC by working together on a Nordic open science arena.
- The Nordic participation in the WLCG consists of two elements. The first element is the set of independent national resource contributions of hardware, hardware operations and maintenance, and dedicated national network costs. The second element, coordinated by NeIC, is the synchronized operation of the set of national contributions in the form of a Nordic Tier-1 service within WLCG. We belive that there is a need now to strengthen the coordination of efforts and procedures to achieve efficient, coherent, predictable and sustainable national contributions to the Nordic Tier-1.
In addition to hearing your views on the topics above, we look forward to your feedback on how you would like to see future interactions with NeIC on these and related matters.
- Time: 13. March 12-16.
- Venue: CSC, Life Science Center Keilaniemi, Keilaranta 14, Espoo
Meeting Chair (Steen Pedersen, Chair of NeIC Board & CEO DeIC)
- Welcome to CSC (Kimmo Koski, Managing Director, CSC)
- NeIC Update (Gudmund Høst, Director, NeIC)
- European Open Science Cloud Update (Per Öster, EOSC-hub Project Director)
- National views on open science (DK, FI, NO, SE funding agency representatives)
- How does open science interact with the national strategies?
- How could EOSC improve the national strategies?
- See PPT from Magnus Eriksson on the Swedish perspective here
- Opportunities for a Nordic open science collaboration (Rob Pennington, Special Adviser, NeIC) See PPT here
- Discussion on Nordic open science collaboration
- Coffee break (14:00-14:30)
- Nordic Tier-1 collaboration participation in the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid
- Status and challenges (Mattias Wadenstein, Nordic Tier-1 Manager, NeIC)
- Proposal for a revised MoU between national funding agencies (Michaela Barth, Executive Manager, NeIC)
- Views on future interactions between NeIC and national funding agencies (DK, FI, NO, SE funding agency representatives).
- Refreshments (served outside the restaurant area)
Open Science Cloud
Nordic Tier-1 Collaboration
- Kimmo Koski, Managing Director, CSC
- Merja Särkioja, Senior Science Adviser, Academy of Finland
- Ulrike Jaekel, Senior Adviser, The Research Council of Norway
- Troels Rasmussen, Special Adviser, Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education
- Magnus Eriksson, Business Architect, Swedish Research Council
- Per Öster, Director, Research Infrastructures, CSC
- Pekka Lehtovuori, Director, Services for Research, CSC
- Steen Pedersen, CEO, DeIC
- Hans Karlsson, Director, SNIC
- Gunnar Bøe, Managing Director, UNINETT Sigma2
- Hans Eide, Special Advisor, UNINETT Sigma2
- Jon Ingi Einarsson, Managing Director, RHnet
- Gudmund Høst, Director, NeIC
- Michaela Barth, Executive Manager, NeIC
- Oxana Smirnova, NT1 CERN liason, NeIC
- Mattias Wadenstein, NT1 Activity Manager, NeIC
- Rob Pennington, Special Adviser, NeIC
- Hanifeh Khayyeri, Senior Research Adviser, Swedish Research Council, Sweden
- Kine Nordstokkå, Administrative Coordinator, NeIC
Please find the meeting minutes here